Thursday, July 3, 2008

Thursday's Hymn

I have decided to start a new feature on my blog. I am taking one day a week (hopefully Thursday) to focus on a hymn that means something to me, or that God has used in my life. I have been thinking about doing something like this for a while, and have decided to go for it. Recently I had a conversation with one of Gunnar's sisters (Thanks, Michelle) about writing down some things I have learned or experienced, and so hopefully I will be able to do at least some of that through this.

Why not just write a boring paragraph you can ignore while looking for cute pictures of Grace? Don't worry I will be doing some of that. :) But, why songs? In the Bible God tells his people to set up giant stones are reminders of the great things He has done for them. Huge boulders so they will not ever forget what he has done. Songs in many ways have been like those standing stones in my life as mile markers for where God has brought me.

There has always been a lot of music in my life. I grew up singing hymns, then hymns in Spanish, then "coritos", then more traditional Spanish music, then back to hymns, then to Mexican music, then to contemporary music in English and now, in this last year back to hymns.

This last year as I have been enjoying embracing my hymn heritage I have been struck by so many of the beautiful words that I had forgotten.

So I hope that the songs encourage you as they have encouraged me. Also, I am trying to come up with a title for this weekly post so if you think of anything, please leave me a comment and let me know.
The hymn for today is Trust and Obey. This week I have been struggling with feeling like so many of the choices that I have made to follow Christ have put me in an isolated place. I was feeling lonely and misunderstood. I know that if I had to do it over again I would probably do the exact same thing, but for some reason I was doubting weather or not all the hard work was worth it. Wouldn't it just be easier to go with the flow and be like everyone else? I know that thought is wrong on so many levels, but that is where I was earlier this week.

I sat down to practice the piano, and the book was open to Trust and Obey. As I started playing it struck me! That is the answer! It was right there in front of me! Trust and Obey. I had been doing the obeying part. That had been ingrained in me at an early age (thanks, mom and dad!)
My actions were there, but that wasn't enough. My altitude was all wrong! I had forgotten about trust.

God's word is absolutely trustworthy. Doing what He says will pay off. If not in the immediate (although a lot of times it does) it will absolutely pay off in the long run. I can trust in His sovereignty and I can trust in His love for me and His love for those around me!

I felt as if I weight had been lifted off me. It is so simple really, yet again and again I loose sight of the goal.

Here are the words to the song. Thanks for reading!

Trust and Obey

When we walk with the Lord in the light of His Word,
What a glory He sheds on our way!
While we do His good will, He abides with us still,
And with all who will trust and obey.

Trust and obey, for there’s no other way
To be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.

Not a shadow can rise, not a cloud in the skies,
But His smile quickly drives it away;
Not a doubt or a fear, not a sigh or a tear,
Can abide while we trust and obey.

Not a burden we bear, not a sorrow we share,
But our toil He doth richly repay;
Not a grief or a loss, not a frown or a cross,
But is blessed if we trust and obey.

But we never can prove the delights of His love
Until all on the altar we lay;
For the favor He shows, for the joy He bestows,
Are for them who will trust and obey.

Then in fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet.
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way.
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey.

No comments: