Thursday, July 31, 2008

New Friends or What I like about being a Christian.

The whole reason we had VBS and the block party was becuase a group from Ft. Mitchell Kentucky came and hosted it for us.

On a regular basis I remember reasons reasons why I love being a Christian. That probably sounds kind of cheesy, but it is true. I really do enjoy being a Christian. This last week I was reminded of a couple more reasons why being a Christian is great.

One thing that stood out to me, is how in Christ, you have an instant connection with people you have never met before and don't have a lot in common with (aside from a relationship with Jesus). I hadn't met most of the people before last week, and we were able to all hang out, have a wonderful time and get to be good friends in a relatively short time. When you have the most important thing in common, the rest is not so important.

Another reason I am glad I am a Christian, is that God knows exactly what you need when you need it. I had been struggling with a couple things and their coming was like an answer to prayer. Through various conversations and simply through the time spent hanging out, I felt like I had some clarity on things I had been working through. God is so good to take care of his children! He knows what we need better than we do. He is so faithful and gracious to bless us so much more than we deserve.

Oh, and we had lots of fun, which is always nice. Here is their whole group.

Sunday they did the worship at our church, which was a lot of fun to have something different.


On a strange note, Gunnar and Joby (their pastor) showed up at church wearing matching outfits. See, there is Gunnar.
And there is Joby. Their shirts were pretty much the exact same color (the lighting kind of makes them look different in the pictures). Ironically, neither guy picked out his own clothes.


One of the things that was really fun was getting to go along with them in the afternoons to some of the beautiful places in San Diego. Such as La Jolla Cove.

Jen, Maria, Bj and Jonathan...there are seals somewhere behind them.


We introduced them to the Stuff Christians Like Blog. It is funny (especially if you grew up in Christian circles), you should check it out.

Another thing that really blessed me was how sweet they all were to Grace. Here we were at dinner the other day...Jonathan (from Kentucky) took the picture, but I love how everyone is looking at Grace (or taking her picture). She of course ate up all that attention. It is cool how in Christ we really are like family. I think as a child I experienced that love, and I am glad Grace can too. I think it is so good for kids to have so many layers of people to love them.

The last picture is from late Thursday night in the church parking lot. It was after 11 and we were all tired and goofy. Hence the below picture:

Maria by far has the best form.

We tried to get Grace to jump too, without a lot of luck. I did well that time though. Figures.

I am so thankful to each person who gave of their time, energy, money to come out and bless our little church. It was reminded me to make myself available for what God has for me, you never know how you could bless someone.

No comments: