Thursday, July 10, 2008

Song for today

I had lots of plans this week. As happens regularly, a lot of my plans don't work out as I thought they would. To be totally honest, I don't like it when my plans don't work out. I prefer to have the universe revolve around me.

Just kidding.

Kind of. :)

Unfortunately, disappointment is part of life and something that has to be dealt with.

I knew I was going to have a busy couple days, so I wrote a post about a song. But that was based on the plans, I had made, not on what actually happened. Yesterday morning before we headed out for a busy day, (and shortly after all my plans got switched around) I had a couple minutes to practice the piano. As usually I went for the song the book was open to. Right away I knew I was going to have to write a new post becuase that was exactly needed to hear.

All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate’er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread;
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

All the way my Savior leads me
O the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father’s house above.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way.

I get sucked into the trap of thinking that I am the one leading my life. I think I am in control. Then when things don't work out the way I think they should, I am upset. This is such a wrong (and for the most part, unproductive and painful) way of thinking.

Jesus is the one who is leading my days. I want Him to be leading my days. After all, His plans are better than my plans. He knows where I need to go. I love the line at the beginning "Can I doubt his tender mercy, who through life has been my guide?" I can say that his is so true in my life. God has been so merciful to me. Throughout my life I have seen that over and over again. Why am upset when things don't go my way? His way has never failed me, why should I doubt now?

I want my "song in endless ages" to be "Jesus led me all the way". That means following him one step at a time. That means when my plans say one thing and his plans say another I should go with His plans. And as my dad would say, I should do it with a "happy on my face". He "gives me grace for each new trial", so why do I question or doubt?

This is the thought I am clinging to today.

Jesus, lead me all the way.


No comments: