Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Block Party

Friday afternoon and evening we had a big block party at church. Now to be totally honest I didn't really know what a block party was before this, and I still am a little fuzzy on some of the details.....I think it is a block party becuase it takes up a lot of space (like a block) or you invite your neighbors (ie the people on your block). Regardless of my confusion, I called it a block party like everyone else, in an attempt to look cool.

Esentially, we had a huge party at church, with all the things good parties have. Like music, food, friends, a jumpy thing, cotton candy, popcorn, snow cones and people running around shooting Gunnar. More about that later.

The music was a local bluegrass band. The lady on the banjo usually plays the piano at our church, I was shocked that she plays the banjo too.

There are some of our dear elderly people from church. They are so cute, we love them.

There is the pastor of First Baptist Fort Mitchell helping out with an important element to the success of the party: the food.
Sondra, another new friend from Kentucky helping out with more food.




Angel (yet another friend from Kentucky) helped out with the cotton candy. Maria, talented as she is shaped her cotton candy into a rose. She is amazing!

Grace loved the jumpy thing. Is there a better name for those? hum, I should find out. Anyways, she pretty much would jump up and throw herself face down. It didn't look that comfortable but she seemed to enjoy it.


Oh, we had bubbles too, so it really was the party of the year!


As I mentioned earlier, there were people running around with guns trying to shoot Gunnar. With paint balls. Our church has a huge lower lot and so we opened that up, added some barrels as cover, and released a bunch of guys with paint ball guns. We actually had a good amount of local kids come for that, so that was really cool. Pretty much the guys from our church (or the Chapel) we really excited to shoot Gunnar. I think becuase shooting a pastor is fun, but shooting a former Navy SEAL is even more fun. All in all, he was a pretty big target. So much so, that he even was shot by someone on his own team. I guess it was just too much to resist.

Thankfully though, he came prepared in his Navy issued camouflage and his sheriffs issues bullet proof vest. Sometimes it pays to have hook ups. :) He actually took the vest off due to the heat or intense ridicule, I didn't really get those details. Either way he has a lot of welts from getting shot, and a lot of good bonding to look back on. And he looked quite dapper, if I do say so myself.

That is an air tank to fill up the guns. I would offer more of an explanation, but I really have no clue how it works.
Aww, I heart him.

Lastly, Grace sporting her hula skirt and eating popcorn. I really think it needs no explanation. If that doesn't say fun, I really don't know what would.

No comments: