Thursday, April 16, 2009

Llamas

I must confess, I love llamas. I am not sure why that is. It could be simply becuase I think "Emperors New Groove" is so funny. Or it could be becuase I love "Llama, Llama, Red Pajama." Possibly it is the fact that they are just a bit odd. Or becuase I don't come in contact with them very often, there is some novelty there. Anyways, I really like Llamas.

Up to this point in my life, 75% of my real life Llama experience has come from the Christmas street fair in La Mesa. The other 25% comes from the zoo. Not too up close and personal.

So when I was sitting in church, not really listening as Grace chatted it up with one of the ladies, my ears perked up when I heard the word llamas. As it happens, it was one of those weeks when I was super sick and concentrating on not throwing up all over the sanctuary, so I hadn't been paying much attention. Turns out though, Fran and Tom have llamas. Two of them. And they live in their yard. (On a side note, as if there was any doubt in my mind that I don't live in the city any more, this was confirmation. People from my church actually own llamas. Yep, it's the country)

Fran, being the sweet gracious lady she is, invited us to come over some time to see her animals. They have three very friendly pigmie goats as well. We had to wait until I was feeling better (and that took a while), but finally after church one day (the Sunday before Easter), we headed over to their house.

Their llamas were rescue llamas, and so they weren't really interested in being petted or anything. But we walked around in their enclosure. The goats that share the enclosure on the other hand, we quite friendly. They were jumping and head butting and having all sorts of goat fun. And they were more than happy to let us pet them, although one tried to kiss Gunnar while Grace was trying to pet them.
Seeing as Grace and I had already been to both services at church that morning, she was kind of tired and not exactly sure what to make of the animals. She usually has the same reaction to our dogs when she is tired, so this wasn't really out of the ordinary. She spent most of her time on Gunnar's shoulders taking it all in.On a last note, do you have any idea what llama poop looks like? Well, you are about to know. The small "grain" is goat poop, and the larger one is the llama poop. At least now you can never say you haven't learned something new by reading my blog.
Gunnar and Grace thought it was intersting too.

No comments: