Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When sorrow like sea billows roll

When sorrows like sea billows roll. The line from the classic hymn has been stuck in my head for a while now.

Today marks the 6 month anniversary of my grandma's death. It has been a rough 6 months for me. I have felt so guilty for missing the funeral (even though it was out of my control). I had felt bad that I hadn't been able to talk to her or to say goodbye. I wasn't expecting her to die so soon. I wasn't ready. She was supposed to meet my new baby, not die the week before. She never even got to find out if it was a boy or girl. I miss her.

When sorrows like sea billows roll.

Last week, a man from our church passed away. He was 70. His wife is a gracious, sweet lady, who is truly a good example for a godly wife. They have been at our church for 3 years and have been a huge help and encouragement to us. Gunnar is doing the interment on Monday and helping with the memorial this weekend.

When sorrows like sea billows roll.

This week, our dear friends, George and Evie, are moving away. They are in their 80's and are moving to be closer to family. They have been like grandparents to us and a huge encouragement and help to us since moving to Valley Center. George is a retired pastor and they are roll models for Gunnar and I. They will be greatly missed.

When sorrows like sea billows roll.

A few weeks ago we visited my grandpa. He misses his wife of 55 years. He isn't one to show emotion, but he did say that her flowers would be blooming in the spring and he planned on taking some to her grave for her birthday. My uncle told me that he often comes over in the morning to find my grandpa in his chair, looking at a picture of her.

When sorrow like sea billows roll.

I guess in all this, I keep trying to remind myself that the song doesn't end there. The next line says:

Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, It is well, It is well, with my soul.

The author of the songs says that God has taught him to be at peace. It didn't come naturally. I think I am in a season of learning this. Or trying to learn this.

The other thought that has been impressed upon me is this:
"Only one life, will soon be past, Only what is done for Christ, will last"

Life is here one day and gone the next. I really want to make the most of my time. It is hard though. Somedays, I want to sit on in front of the computer and refresh my facebook page the entire day. I need to start sleeping more soon, too, as I am a firm believer that sleep cures most of the worlds problems. :) I just need to convince Elizabeth of this truth.

In closing, here are some pictures from our trip to my grandma's grave a few weeks ago. I felt like going to the grave was a good step in the healing process in my heart. My dad's grandparents are also buried there, which was interesting to see.



1 comment:

Ann said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Anna. Today was two months since Grandma Koop passed away. Lets make the most of our days while on Earth and not waste our lives away. I have been getting this message from different people lately. Definitely a good thing to hear and remember.