Thursday, February 18, 2010

Comfort

You might have noticed I was a little sad when I blogged yesterday. I was.

Shortly after I posted that, I was standing in the kitchen, doing dishes and going over Grace's memory verses with her. We do this most days, to review and keep up on the verses she is learning. When we review we take turns, she quotes a passage, then I quote a passage. When it came to my turn as I started quoting it hit me.

It was in front of me the whole time, yet I missed it.

2 Corinthians 4:16-19:

Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

We are wasting away. It is just a fact of life. But we are also being renewed day by day. And the eternal glory that awaits us far outweighs the grief and sorrows that we have in this life.

My perspective had been so off. I wasn't fixing my eyes on the unseen. I was fixing my eyes on the here and now.
I took this picture a week or two ago and had forgotten about it. Grace had planted these flowers last year from a packet of seeds my grandma had sent her last Easter. They had sprouted and just as the flowers had started to bloom, the dog had rolled in them uprooted the plants. Grace had cried about it. After my grandma died, she had brought it up one day randomly in the car and cried about it again. I had wondered if crying about the flowers was her way of dealing with my grandmas death. We had promised her we would get more seeds in the spring.

A few months later after the rain, we found these flowers had sprouted again. Not where they had been planted, but 6 ft down by the corner of the garage. The rain had washed the seeds from the dead flowers down and had been reborn. Grace and I were both so excited.

When I thought of that verse yesterday, the flowers came to mind.

I am going to try to remember them. And not loose heart. Because outwardly I am wasting away, but inwardly, I am being renewed, day by day.

No comments: