Wednesday, August 10, 2011

June week 3

June 13th: Another goodbye
I have gone to many many funerals over the last couple years. There is nothing more heartbreaking than when they hand the flag to the widow. In this case, his wife had taken care of him as he battled cancer. He was only 39. I can't imagine all that she has gone though.

Overwhelmingly at the service when they talked about Gus, the things that were said were about his character. Story after story spoke of his kindness, compassion, thoughtfulness and love towards those around him. Of course he had many other impressive accomplishments (Naval Academy Grad, LT Commander in the SEAL teams, head of the jump team....) but in the end, his strength of character is what his buddies remembered.

In leaving the ceremony for this friend of Gunnar's (who I had only met casually), I left with a sense of respect for what a great man he had been and for the amazing strength of his wife. Both humbling and inspiring it was a much needed reality check and good perspective on how I set the priorities in my own life.

(This photo was taken off the "Naval Special Warfare" facebook page)

June 14: Welcome home!
My mom and Maria got back from two weeks in Spain. We all welcomed them home at the airport and then we went out to dinner. As we walked up to the terminal Grace kept saying "I am going to cry for joy. I am going to cry for JOY." She was so excited for Grandma to be back in town!
June 15: It's good to be on the phone again

Grace was super excited to have her phone buddy back in town. She loves talking to my mom on the phone! Normally, my mom reads Grace books, but since Grandma was tired, Grace read her one instead.
June 16: "Eyes"
Elizabeth calls her sunglasses her "eyes." She is a huge fan of them and will wear them for hours! Around the house, at church, outside, it really doesn't matter. She loves those things.
June 17: Gitanas

We had lunch at my parents and my mom gave out the gifts she had gotten on her trip. The cousins looked super cute in their flaminco dresses and new shoes and fans.
June 18: Good times

I love snuggling with my girls and reading books. It is times like this that remind me that I am living the good life.
June 19: Father's day
Afer church on Sunday we went to the softball field for a church softball game. Grace wore a hat to match her daddy. The guys all had a lot of fun and the girls and I enjoyed sitting in the shade and cheering the guys on. I am so thankful for the good daddy God has given my girls.

No comments: