Thursday, July 9, 2009

Night time zoo

I love the night time zoo! Actually, I always love the World Famous San Diego Zoo. Gunnar and I have been members there since we got married and have enjoyed many long walks there. We don't make it there very much anymore as we live so far away, we mostly stick to the Wild Animal Park. Although I enjoy the Wild Animal Park, the Zoo will always be my favorite.

The night time zoo is by the far the best, for so many reasons. The summer evening weather is amazing, there are so many less people, the animals are more active, and they shows are usually more fun than the regular "reduce, reuse, recycle." On a side note, it donned on my last night that the zoo was so ahead of their time. They were into reduce reusing and recycling way before it got super trendy.

Last night, on the spur of the moment we called my parents to see if they wanted to join us for a trip to the zoo. They agreed and we met there.

We went on the skyfarie to get to the far side of the zoo, as I was not really wanting to waddle all the way over there. Grace was very hesitant and did not want to go on it. We couldn't figure out why until we got on, and she asked in a very serious voice "are we going to go upside down?" Once we assured her we weren't she was all smiles and enjoyed it. It is so funny how her little brain works.We walked around the new Elephant exhibit. It was great! I have never seen the lions so active. The male lion was roaring super loud, which was amazing. I had never heard that before. I am pretty sure if I heard that in the wild I would be super scared. Thankfully there was a little net and a ton of people between us. I figured one of those people would be slower than I am, so I wasn't too worried. Grace wasn't overly impressed, she kept putting her hands over her ears. I guess she wasn't a fan of the roaring.Around the "Elephant Odyssey" there were these cut outs of scientist that you could take pictures with. Grace and Grandpa Pa were big fans, as you can see. My dad's degree is in biochemistry so it was a good fit.
The elephants were super funny. One was breaking a huge log into pieces. Always impressive. I totally think he/she was trying to show off.The closest we got to an elephant was on the big screen as we walked by. Grace wasn't sure what to make of it it.
It was so nice and refreshing to take a walk in the coolness of the evening. Grace found some thingies to jump on. Yes, I know that is probably not the technical term for them, but as I am adding a picture, you can see what they look like, so I decided not to bother with a better explanation. What would you call them anyways?Oh, I also saw a peacock. It was just hanging out and didn't even move when we walked right by. Sorry for the bad picture quality, I just wanted to show that I got super close to a peacock. I was very excited about it. Did I mention how much I love the zoo?We made it to the show just as it was about to start. In other years, the evening show has included acrobats or people in animal costumes, but this year there were actually animals in it. A surprising twist. It was a bird show, and multiple birds didn't do what they were supposed to do, which is always entertaining. The rooster ran off into the zoo, which seemed to fit with our experience with roosters.
Grace had a wonderful time with Grandpa Pa and Grandma Ta. She has been asking me all day when we can go back to the zoo.

No comments: