Saturday, April 9, 2011

Beachside Memorial

As most of you know, Gunnar recently lost a dear friend of his. You can read his thoughts and memories of John by clicking here. They had decided to have a beach side memorial service/goodbye sunset to celebrate his life.

It was a cold overcast day, which was unusual, as all week had been sunny and warm. There was a good group of people gathered at the beach by the time we got there (we had gone to the wrong place originally so we were running late at this point). There were still a decent amount of people getting there, but you get an idea of the turn out.
As we were walking up, and we saw his parents and all the friends there to remember John, the tears Gunnar hadn't shared all week started to flow. Grace asked him a question and he couldn't get an answer out. I had been concerned all week for Gunnar, as he cries when he does funerals of people he hasn't met, and I knew this was going to be really hard on him. But at that moment, I started to really worry for him. He was literally supposed to start the service in 2 min! I started praying in my heart for him, and we were separated by the crowd, as I was getting the kids set up with the other kids that were there and what not.

In what seemed like just a minute, Gunnar got up and started the service. I immediately noticed his contenance was a lot better. He was choked up but able to talk and project his voice. A lot of what he shared is similar to what is on his blog post.

Unknown to me, once we were separated, Gunnar had run into a pastor friend of his. He had asked this friend to pray for him, and the pastor and his wife had laid hands and prayed on his before he started. I know Gunnar was so thankful, and as he got up to speak, I could tell something had changed. I know it was God helping him!
Mike (the brother) had gotten there early and set up the flowers and surf boards. It was a very appropriate way to remember a guy who loved to surf and enjoy the outdoors.I am not sure if this is the correct place to brag a bit, but Gunnar did amazing. Like I said, I had been really worried for him, as it is hard to be not only a pastor but a friend. He was able to speak from the heart, clearly and eloquently. I think he had everyone crying and laughing at different times during his speaking. Unlike so many funerals, he was able to give such a personal touch that was very sweet. I know many hearts were touch by what he said.
The logistics to speaking to a group that large at the beach are tricky, but on shear mechanics he did great. Thankfully, his SEAL Instructor background came in handy.
Another thing that was a little unusual about this event is that it was in many ways two of Gunnar's worlds colliding. Many of the people that were there he had partied with in the past and many did not know that he was a Christian, let alone a pastor. For the most part these days, everywhere Gunnar goes, people know and respect the fact that he is a pastor (and a good one at that). I think sharing from the Bible and God's answer to those hard questions we face at funerals is always hard, but even more so in a crowed where most people remember you as a partier! I was so proud of my husbands faithfulness to God's word and sharing the gospel clearly.
When Gunnar was done speaking, John's dad (also named John) got up and shared a few words. He is a gracious man, and I feel for the pain that he and his wife are going through. I can't even imagine.
All in all, I know Gunnar is glad to have this over although I know he was so glad for the opportunity to help. I am so proud of him and the brave, godly man that he is and for his ceaseless unselfishness in helping those around him.

No comments: