Friday, April 16, 2010

Flashbak Friday: Dad's family part 1

In just over a week is my dad's 55th birthday! In honor of his birthday, I thought I would dedicate this week's Flashback Friday to him! Actually, this week and next week, becuase I had so many good pictures I couldn't contain it to one post!

This week we are going to focus on his early life. Most of us are blessed with two families. The one we are given, and the one we make. My dad was blessed to have loving families on both sides. My siblings and I in turn are blessed to come from a legacy of long, successful marriages and caring and involved parents and grandparents.

This week we are going to focus on the family my dad was given, and next week we will look at the family he made.

My dad and family lived and grew up in Grover City (now Grover Beach) California. He was the first born son to Bill and Delores.
My grandpa was very handsome around the time of my dad's birth, my dad, on the other hand, was still growing into his good looks. :)
My grandpa worked in construction for many years until he retired. At a young age, my dad's construction future was bright. Well, at least he looked good in a hard hat. :)
By toddler hood he was so cute, I don't know how my grandma ever disciplined him. I mean, come on, look at that grin! By the way, nice outfit, dad!
At only one year and one week apart, my dad and his brother Russell, spent a lot of time together. My grandma would also take advantage of their close proximity in age to make them wear matching clothes. I am not sure if they were joining a bowling league or what, but you have to admit they looked stylish!
I couldn't resist this next picture. I am not sure which part I like more: using his hand to suck in his gut, or the pistol as long as his leg.
Here is his family! Maybe sometime around 1960, would be my guess.
Fast forward a couple years, and my grandparents took the family to Disneyland. My dad may have actually coined the phrase "Happiest place on earth." Russell, on the other hand was not as convinced.
Another couple years went by. I think this picture was taken on the property that my grandpa now lives on. You can see where my brothers get their stocky frames.
My Uncle Russell graduated from high school in 1974. That same year, in August, my dad's little sister Kelly was born. This would be their first full family picture, on the day of Russell's high school graduation.
Here is that same family years later at my grandpa's 70th birthday party (the year he turned 69, which is another story for another day).
I know my dad is thankful for both of the families that God gave him, and I know God has used both of them in his life to make him the godly man that he is today.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

I love you "Flashbak Friday", I grew up on the next street, Ocean View when he lived on Park View. My younger sister is your dad's age. Your Uncle Richard and I lived in that house (on Ocean View) when Aaron was born. Your Grandma and I were very, very good friends. Thanks for the memories and can't wait for your next post. Aunt Ingrid